[Tweeters] Skagit Bullock's Oriole, etc

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 22:07:33 PDT 2013

Dear Tweeters,

Today (27 April 2013) was a good day for migrants in Skagit County, despite the rain that developed by late morning.

Best bird of the day was an adult male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE that showed up in my yard, near Cockreham Island. The chattering call had me confused at first, making me think there was a shrike here, but soon the bright orange bird showed itself. I had never seen one in April before, at least in Washington.

Perhaps I never should have left the yard--by eventide, I had tallied about 36 species here, although I was away much of the day, birding upriver.

A pond near my house had a dozen LEAST SANDPIPERS, a Wilson's Snipe, a Greater Yellowlegs, and some Killdeer and Mallards. The Snipe have been winnowing here for a few days.

Also in the yard were two Lincoln's Sparrows, one of which showed up yesterday. Somehow I could not find a crow here, or a Violet-green Swallow; I probably would have found close to 40 species if I'd have had the patience for  a "bit sit" in the yard.

At Martin Road  near Rockport was a flock of about 24 VAUX'S SWIFTS, plus a dark Merlin carrying a prey item. I met a birder named Jeremy Davis near here, and we had a good bird walk, again despite the rain showers.

Corkindale was very rainy, but pretty birdy nonetheless. An Osprey was calling from the usual nest site here. I heard a BLACK-THROATED GREY WARBLER singing, but could not spot it. Along the highway here was a WESTERN KINGBIRD, looking sodden and unhappy, to anthropomorphize a bit.

Yours truly,

 Gary Bletsch

Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA

garybletsch at yahoo.com

"Nun," sagte ich, "wenn ich ein Taugenichts bin, so ist's gut, so will ich in die Welt gehen, und mein Glueck machen." Und eigentlich war mir das recht lieb, denn es war mir kurz vorher selber eingefallen, auf Reisen zu gehen, da ich die Goldammer, welche im Herbst und Winter immer betruebt an unserm Fenster sang: "Bauer, miet' mich, Bauer, miet' mich!" nun in der schoenen Fruehlingszeit wieder ganz stolz und lustig vom Baume rufen hoerte: "Bauer, behalt' deinen Dienst!"