[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 12:14:20 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

As we close in on the end of April, we are at 122 year species for the
city of Edmonds. Migrants are starting to move through Edmonds, as
they are in other areas. Shorebirds are still predominantly Least
Sandpipers with a few Western Sandpipers mixed in from time to time. A
Greater Yellowlegs was both seen and heard in the marsh this past
week. In the last few days a Kestrel was spotted near the marsh. This
is a once every 4-5 year occurrence. Warblers moving through include
Orange-crowned, Black-throated Gray, one Nashville, and multiple
sightings of Common Yellowthroat. The latter warbler should be more
common in and around the marsh than it usually is. But this year the
sightings are increasing. One Pacific-slope Flycatcher was seen in
Yost Park the other day. There were a couple of Marbled Murrelets near
the public pier Thursday evening as well as a flock of about 20
Sanderlings on the marina's south breakwater. There are still 100+
Brant along the waterfront. Caspian Terns are being seen in small
numbers. About half a dozen Pipits were on the south side of the marsh
last week. So far we have seen Tree, Cliff, Violet-green, and Barn
Swallows but very few have settled into the marsh environs as their
summer home yet.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds