[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-04-25

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Apr 25 14:28:32 PDT 2013

Tweets – a clear, full-moon night followed by a chilly but sunny morning... It was really pretty, and this time of year there ought to be a lot of birds about, but the morning was amazingly quiet, especially for the first three hours. It was as if all of the birds who were thinking of leaving their wintering grounds decided that the last couple of days and nights were perfect for migration, while everything that was already migrating found no reason to stop. But sometime after about 10 a.m., we started to find some “good” species and more of them. We were a big group today – 17 I think!

Highlights: (LOS – probable last sighting for this spring)

Ring-necked Duck Still a pair at the Rowing Club – LOS?
Scaup sp. After the walk, a few at the north end of the lake – LOS?
Common Goldeneye Still one female in the slough – LOS?
COMMON LOON One pretty far out on the lake
TURKEY VULTURE One over grass soccer fields around 11:00 a.m.
LEAST SANDPIPER Eleven at the puddles in Lot B
Hairy Woodpecker One male
Merlin Quick flyby
Pac.-slope(?) Flycatcher Silent empid, poor looks, tear-drop eye ring
American Pipit Four with Least Sandpipers
NASHVILLE WARBLER One west of south end of East Meadow
BL.-THR GRAY WARBLER One a couple of trees over from Nashville

The best early highlight was a MUSKRAT swimming around the slough below the weir, followed by getting great looks at a BEAVER eating willows nearby. The beaver was hugely plump, and we wondered if it might be a pregnant female.

We’re still searching for our first Green Heron of the year, and we haven’t had a Belted Kingfisher for the last eight weeks. Also, no owls this morning, but otherwise we found all of the usual birds for this time of year. Even so, it didn’t seem very birdy much of the time; many species were heard-only, glimpsed-only, seen-by-only-a-few, or seen in small numbers. And there were 11 species seen Monday or Tuesday that we didn’t have today.

But there were lots of new species this week: Since last Thursday, we’d had GREATER YELLOWLEGS, DUNLIN, CASSIN’S VIREO, HERMIT THRUSH, CHIPPING SPARROW, and BREWER’S BLACKBIRD. Today, we added COMMON LOON, TURKEY VULTURE, LEAST SANDPIPER, NASHVILLE WARBLER, and BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, which I believe brings the 2013 total to 107.

For the day, 67 species; and if I add in Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s birds, it totals 78 species!

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com