[Tweeters] Tahuya Mt. Quail & Northern Bobwhite

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 15:33:12 PDT 2013

My wife and I heard both a Northern Bobwhite and  Mountain Quail (in 2 locations for the latter) today along Tahuya- Blacksmith Rd.  The sightings were between 8:30 a.m. and 9:45 a.m.  Thanks to Penny Koyama for directions and to a birder we met who gave us some very helpful specific information on what he had already seen this morning.  Unfortunately we failed to get his name.

To get to the general location take highway 300 west out of Belfair.  (Once in Belfair just follow signs to Belfair State Park.)  Shortly after the park turn right onto Belfair-Tahuya Road.  In about 7 miles turn right onto Tahuya-Blacksmith Road.  All roads are paved and well signed.

Site A is a gated forest service road on the left (i.e west) .4 miles along Tahuya-Blacksmith Road.  We walked along the forest service road until we got to a "y" and took the right fork for about 200 feet.  (The birder that we met today told us to take this fork.)  We stood there for about 5 minutes and heard a Mountain Quail.

Site B is a pullout only .3 miles along Tahuya-Blacksmith Road so we backtracked .1 miles. Site B is on the same side of the road as Site A.  Our new birder friend told us that he had heard Mountain Quail in this location and had seen and heard a Northern Bobwhite here.  Somebody had dumped garbage atSite B and there is a white plastic pipe there.  We were standing by the side of the car admiring a Rufous Hummingbird, when about 10 feet from us in the brush we heard a loud call of a bobwhite.  It repeated often enough that I was able to record the sound on a video.  We never did see the bird.  You can see our shadows and the shadow of our car door in the video showing how close the bobwhite was.  During the period that the bobwhite was calling we heard a Mountain Quail call across the road.  Here is a link to the recording of the bobwhite's call.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/8675577917/

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA