[Tweeters] Montlake Fill (King Co.) migration this morning

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 21 16:06:11 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

This morning I led a group of UW students around the Fill, and then did a second loop by myself, because despite the rain, there seemed to be a nice set of birds around as migration picks up - fun!  Not a single "King Co Code 3" or above (meaning rare for the county), but highlights among 69 species included:

- adjacent high flyover Vs of Greater White-fronted + Cackling Geese
- Cinnamon Teal and a lone Canvasback
- 1 Common Loon in breeding-plumage scoped at the edge of the bay, my first for the Fill
- Pied-billed Grebe that built a nest surprisingly close to shore (an inexperienced first-time nester?)
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjmKJuUfkXA
- 1 Hammond's Flycatcher in Surber swamp, my first-of-the-year
- 2 Hermit Thrush (1 in Surber swamp)
- 1 American Pipit flyover
- Golden-crowned Sparrows in breeding finery, video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaXuFTHUIOQ
- 3 Brewer's Blackbirds at their traditional location by the helipad
- 1 Purple Finch (a female-plumaged first-year male) singing by the main pond, I rarely see these at the Fill
- 2 Red Crossbill (type 3) flying over near the "Wedding Rocks", only my 2nd record of this species for the Fill

Good birding!
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA