[Tweeters] Ridgefield adventure

Warren Clemans wumpusbear at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 14:28:42 PDT 2013

Yesterday was the state elementary chess tournament at the Clark County
fairgrounds. My wife generously offered to let me duck out of the
tournament for a little birding and, as luck would have it, Ridgefield
turned out to be only a few miles away. What a great spot!

The highlight for me was an American Bittern that worked the shoreline
about 25 feet from the car. I was able to watch for probably 30 minutes
and the bird never seemed to know I was there. I was amazed by how
effective a bittern's camouflage is. If I turned away for a moment, I was
often not able to find him again until he moved, even though I knew right
where he was. A fascinating critter. Photo here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63285381@N00/8668884405/in/set-72157628627805987/

Other highlights included a nice marsh wren concert (photo here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63285381@N00/8668884405/in/set-72157628627805987/),
about a million yellow-rumped warblers (like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63285381@N00/8668884405/in/set-72157628627805987/),
and a bunch of western scrub-jays (here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63285381@N00/8668884405/in/set-72157628627805987/).

I can't wait to go back!

Happy birding,
Warren