[Tweeters] WOS field trip to Wahkiakum County 4-20-13

washingtonbirder.Ken Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 20 20:11:02 PDT 2013

The WOS fieldtrip to Wahkiakum County was great. Areas covered were Puget Island, Julia Butler Hansen NWR, Altoona, Grays Bay, Beaver Creek with many stops inbetween. Highlights began with a Black Phoebe and then close by a Whimbrel in a cow pasture. Both of these were near the pumping station as soon as one turns west onto West Bernie Slough Rd. on Puget Island. The Northern Mockingbird was still at 80 N. Welcome Slough Road on Puget Island. Eared Grebes were along West Bernie Slough Road. On Julia Butler Hansen NWR was a Chipping Sparrow along with several shorebirds which included Black-bellied Plovers, Greater Yellowlegs, Western and Least Sandpipers, Dunlin, and Wilson's Snipe. While eating lunch waiting for the American White Pelicans to fly into Wahkiakum County, they finally did then circled into Pacific County and back to Oregon where we had first seen them. An Eurasian Wigeon was seen at the north end of Grays Bay. We ended the day in the forested areas up Beaver Creek Road with Sooty Grouse vocalizing along with calling Varried Thrush. Total seen by the group was 100 species.

Ken
Knittle

Vancouver WA
98665 mailto:washingtonbirder at hotmail.com