[Tweeters] Neah Bay trip, April 16-17

bruce paige BBPaige at nikola.com
Thu Apr 18 07:33:27 PDT 2013

I had visions of warblers and shorebirds showing on the most recent 2 day trip to Neah Bay, but it was not to be! The trees and understory were promisingly leafed out, but were still comparatively quiet and the tide flats contained no waves of "peeps". The flocking sparrows and meadowlarks are gone from the beachlands, and even numbers of overwintering water birds were reduced.

Virtually the first bird seen near the Makah MiniMart was a Townsend's Solitaire (along with Michael Barry standing close by!}. There was a Northern Rough-winged Swallow at the Makah Fish Hatchery on the 16th, a Common Yellowthroat plus a calling flock of Sandhill Cranes-the latter which I frustratingly never could see and they may have been heading northward above the clouds- along the Wa'atch Valley, and a first-cycle Glaucous Gull with another of likely mixed parentage near downtown Neah Bay on the 17th.

Birding was fun, never the less!

Bruce Paige
Sequim, WA

spruceak at yahoo.com