[Tweeters] Mason County Quail and other Birds

marvin.hoekstra at frontier.com marvin.hoekstra at frontier.com
Wed Apr 17 20:53:45 PDT 2013

Tweeters,

I birded Tahuya-Blacksmith Road near Belfair today from 6:15 am to 8:00 am.  On a logging trail near the intersection with Belfair-Tahuya Rd I heard a Northern Bobwhite.  I was surprised to hear this eastern bird, but found later that they exist in a few isolated pockets west of the Missisipi, this being one of them.  Also seen were White-crowned Sparrow, House Finch and Rufous Hummingbird, and American Crow.  On the gravel section of Tahuya-Blacksmith road, where the woods have been cut and are regrowing, I heard a Mountain Quail from the road.  It repeated the kyork sound for about two minutes.

Thanks to the tweeters who gave advice regarding Mountain Quail.

Marvin S. Hoekstra
marvin.hoekstra at frontier.com