[Tweeters] Tahuya Moutain Quail & Mason Co Marbled Godwit

plkoyama at comcast.net plkoyama at comcast.net
Wed Apr 17 08:02:10 PDT 2013

Tweets,
After several frustrating attempts over the past few years, we have finally managed to get Mt. Quail. Not being the O’dark-thirty types (to quote Guy McQ) we spent the night near Pt Orchard, and got up to Tahuya Blacksmith Rd around 7:30, in bright sun. Following Matt Bartell’s directions, we walked the gated forest service road that starts at about .4 mi along T-B Rd. The birds were calling out in the clear cut area and while I was climbing over a mound of dirt, David signaled that he had a pair right on the dirt/gravel road. I only saw the backs of them, but several yards later, another pair was picking at gravel out on the road.

We could never seen any others in the clear cut, though they continued calling on both sides. The area is quite grown over with shrubs and I guess you’d have to be lucky to see a male perch on one of the stumps. But as we were driving out on T-B Rd, there was another pair visible from our car feeding at the edge of the woods, which provided excellent views, since they didn’t scurry off so quickly. Later at Subway, in answer to questions about our visit, some locals asked what kind of quail. When we said Mt Quail when they asked how different they were from “regular” quail, we soon realized to them Mt Quail are the “regular” quail—“the ones we see all the time,” as they said. That took us down a peg, but not too much to dampen the thrill.

Also, for the county records compilers, there was a lone Code 5 Marbled Godwit at Belfair State Park all morning, and a breeding-plumaged Code 3 Eared Grebe out on the canal seen from the park. We remain flummoxed as to why in 4 trips to Mason, we have not located any Code 1 coots!
Penny Koyama, Bothell
plkoyama at comcast dot net