[Tweeters] New yard bird

ka7mcx at juno.com ka7mcx at juno.com
Tue Apr 16 20:23:19 PDT 2013

This morning, exactly one-third of a century (to the day!) after moving into our North Matthews Beach neighborhood, our yard had a first time visitor. We had first spotted a group of Ring-necked Pheasants, all females, last year on the next street below ours. Recently we watched as a pair ventured into a driveway just a stone's throw away. And their was a report of "at least a dozen" just two doors down. Our turn came this morning when a solitary gal spent several minutes exploring the rockery and vegetation just below our front windows. A few minutes later she strolled across our driveway and climbed the steep bank to the front lawn next door. Meanwhile two others again strolled up the driveway across the street. BTW, last year's firsts were a Pileated Woodpecker, along with two young female deer who hung around this very urban neighborhood for a few weeks.