[Tweeters] WOS Conference Registration Working

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Mon Apr 15 08:56:50 PDT 2013

I’m going to say out loud what I said to Treesa privately –

Please give the WOS organizers a break on this. I am responsible for organizing another conference each year and we recently moved to online registration systems. They are incredibly helpful but very tricky to program, and not all of them work perfectly. Every year we’ve had a few snafus like this, though I think it is safe to say that the consequences aren’t as much of an issue. Setting the time of something is especially difficult, for reasons that aren’t always intuitively obvious. For example, the fact that she got it running by changing the deadline to the day before suggests that the provider had something set wrong on their server. These systems are fairly new and not all the kinks have been worked out of them.

I can say as a conference organizer that once you do get the details ironed out, they are more than helpful to the volunteer organization running the show as well as the participants and save massive amounts of time. So it is not a good idea to give up on it because of one problem.

The field trips all being full already suggests more that there is far more interest than there is capacity, which is not the fault of the system or the programmer. All those who did register and fill up those trips were obviously also up at midnight, and stayed up as long as it took. So if it had worked right, there clearly would have been a mad rush of some sort and a number of people (who were all up at midnight) would have still been disappointed. So maybe, more thought needs to be given to the number of available spots, because to have them all fill up in the first few hours seems problematic no matter what system you’re using.

Teresa Michelsen

Olympia WA