[Tweeters] Sapsucker seekers-nyet

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 19:27:36 PDT 2013

________________________________

Five of us vainly sought the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, with my wife and I being there from 11:05 a.m. until 3:25 p.m..  I moved the newspaper box out of the swamp so that it is visible from the road.  Hopefully no one will take it.  The yellow reflector is on the left shoulder as you head away from Darrington.  We did hear a Northern Pygmy-owl and a Barred Owl as well as seeing several Northern Flickers, several Red-breasted Sapsuckers, a Pileated Woodpecker, a couple of Varied Thrush, a Common Yellowthroat, a couple of Turkey Vultures, a Spotted Towhee, many Steller's Jays, an American Robin and a Song Sparrow.  On the way home we saw a small sign to Portage Creek Wildlife Area so we dropped in and saw a pair of nesting Northern Flickers plus a Virginia Rail.  We not only heard the rail, but had 3 good views of it.

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA
karenhankatyahoodotcom