[Tweeters] Whatcom County birding- 4/12

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 13 20:53:52 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets! On spring break, so I took a two day trip up to the northwest corner of the state. Day one was up in Whatcom county on Friday. I left Renton early, hoping to find Barn Owls NE of Bellingham, but had to (happily) settle for a Great Horned Owl in Skagit County just before crossing the county line. My first Whatcom birds came along Lake Whatcom - lots of Wood Ducks, and good views of Red-breasted Sapsucker and Pileated Woodpecker. I worked from the SE end to the NW end, all along the south end of the lake, but dipped on American Dipper... :( In Bellingham itself, I followed up on an ebird posting for Western Scrub-Jay at Connecticut and Humboldt. I got out of the car and found it immediately, perched on the tallest tree SE of the intersection. After birding the waterfront a little (Harlequin Ducks at Post Point, not much else of interest), I went to Tenant Lake. I decided to take some back roads - Rural Road, primarily - and I had a fairly productive spot down Pence Road where I listened to singing Townsend's Warbler, Purple Finch and Common Yellowthroat. At Tenant Lake, along the entrance from Hovander, there is a marsh on the left hand side of the road where I was expecting Virginia Rail (yes), hoping for American Bittern (no) and surprised by a calling Sora (yay!). The lake itself had swallows - all appeared to be Violet Green and Tree - and very few ducks. Sandy Point showed signs of spring with an Osprey, and with some hunting, I found two Northern Rough-winged Swallows mixed in with the Tree and Violet-green Swallows at Lake Terrell. At Birch Bay, there were a dozen Greater Yellowlegs, but no other shorebirds. Yellowlegs were found on Drayton Harbor and at the Blaine Marina, with Dunlin added at the Blaine Marina as well. Bonaparte's Gulls were mixed in with the other gulls at the Marina. Despite nearly drowning from the rain periodically, it was an excellent day with a little over 90 species.