[Tweeters] Cowlitz County Eared Grebe & More

Russ Koppendrayer russkope at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:57:25 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

Today (4/11/13) there was a breeding plumaged EARED GREBE on the Longview
STP along with the continued presence of at least 5 RUDDY DUCKS.

Scoping from Meeker Road over Meeker's Pond just north of Kalama I saw a
SNOW GOOSE with a large flock of Cacklers. Also from this point I scoped
the rookery across the freeway and saw 6 GREAT EGRETS at least 2 of which
appeared to be brooding eggs. It is getting difficult to see all the birds
well as the trees are leafing out. There were also 3 egrets in the pond.
After the big build-up of 71 egrets in the area on March 31, I had been
hopeful for a larger presence at the rookery.

The muddy field at the Caples & Dike Roads in the Woodland Bottoms held a
single BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER in breeding plumage.

Russ Koppendrayer
Longview, WA
russkope at gmail dot com