[Tweeters] BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - Snoqualmie

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Thu Apr 11 12:12:25 PDT 2013

Hi folks,

When I'm out and about on errands, I usually (at least in the fall, winter and early spring) swing by Eagle Lake on Snoqualmie Ridge to check for ducks.  There are usually Scaup (mostly Lesser) on the lake all winter, along with Bufflehead, Mallard, sometimes Ring-necked Ducks and an occasional oddity like a single Ruddy Duck a few years back.  I almost didn't swing by today coming back from lunch, because many of the Bufflehead have already left for the season and I didn't expect anything new.  But, I drove by and got the binocs out and there was a surprise - two pairs of BARROW'S GOLDENEYE.  This was the first sighting of this species on Snoqualmie Ridge  in the ten years I've lived in the area.  I had this species once at Three Forks Natural Area in January of 2010 as well.

This brings my life list for the Snoqualmie Ridge development to 137.

Eagle Lake is the water hazard on the 9th hole at TPC Snoqualmie Ridge, and is bordered on two sides by public roads (it lies at the east end of Ridge Street).

John Tubbs

Snoqualmie, WA

johntubbs at comcast.net