[Tweeters] Passenger Pigeon coming back?

Hal Michael ucd880 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 11 07:34:23 PDT 2013

Another aspect of PP extinction is that while they were very abundant, they had a very low individual annual recruitment rate.  They laid a couple of eggs, but as with all pigeons, the nest was flimsy so they lost a lot of eggs and young.  the mindset then was that an abundant resource could sustain high harvests.  "Sustainable" harvest rates may have been very low.

That may have been why they were colonial nesters ; they overwhelmed the nest predators.

Hal Michael
Olympia WA
360-459-4005 (H)
360-791-7702 (C)