[Tweeters] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Darrington

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Tue Apr 9 15:15:58 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets

I arrived outside of Darrington at a little after 8:30 this morning (2.3 miles south of town and where the old yellow lane reflector and Herald box are - but you have to get off the edge of the road to see the box). Mary Frances Mathis informed me that they had seen the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (juvenile) five minutes earlier. I stuck around and saw a Downy Woodpecker, heard a distant Northern Flicker and saw two really gorgeous Red-breasted Sapsuckers (one working over fresh new sap wells).

Finally, at about 10:10 the Yellow-bellied flew in. It landed on one of the very small trunked trees by the large moss-covered tree just opposite the old yellow reflector, on the east side of the road. It posed briefly, then flew across the street (Mt. Loop Hiway) and gave us nice looks. It then flew back across the road and down, and seemingly across the swamp (we couldn't find it). This was very similar to the pattern that Mary Frances said it exhibited earlier (they had it on a tree on the west side of the road, it flew to the eastside and to two or three trees over there and then flew back into the swamp).

Took a while, but a nice bird.

Brian H. Bell
Woodinville WA
mail to bell asoc at iso media dot com