[Tweeters] Life and death in Port Orchard

Chazz Hesselein chazz at hesselein.com
Sat Apr 6 21:17:42 PDT 2013

Earlier today, I was pointing out a pretty pied Rock Pigeon to my wife
when, in a whoosh of feathers and flight, a male Cooper's Hawk
successfully made a kill of one of the pied pigeon's neighbors. I'm
reluctant to say it made a meal of it because after he did a good amount
of plucking, he decided our lawn wasn't the best place to dine. I
watched him take off with a bird almost his size in his talons. The
last I saw of him, he had flown about a hundred feet horizontally and
had only gained only enough height to keep the pigeon from dragging on
the ground. I hope he got some lift once he reached the steeper slope
of our hill. Either that, or maybe the crows that were harassing him
got a free meal.

Chazz Hesselein
Port Orchard, WA