[Tweeters] 1201 Third Ave (downtown Seattle) peregrines

Bud Anderson falconresearch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 12:30:28 PDT 2013

A few years ago, I handed over the Seattle Peregrine Project to Ed Deal, a
well-known and very qualified local peregrine expert who lives in Seattle.

Since then, Ed and his able and dedicated team of volunteers have been
monitoring all of the active nest sites in town, establishing occupancy,
banding the young, identifying prey remains and looking out for the
fledglings. And, typical of all city nesting peregrines, these young
falcons often do get into trouble.

At such times, there are many people looking out for them, both those
directly involved in the project and the average person on the street.
Many, many times over the years the fledglings have ended up going to our
friends at Sarvey who have done a wonderful job in caring for them. They
will usually hold them for a few days until the young get a bit stronger
and then we re-release the fledglings back to their parents. They do all of
this for free so support them.

We have been involved with this effort since the early 90's when breeding
peregrines first moved into the city.

I suggest that those who wish to contribute their time and energy to this
program contact Ed Deal directly at falcophile at comcast.net or (206)
723-4742. Speaking from experience, he is a great guy to work with.

Ed and Martin Muller have also been leading Seattle Peregrine field trips
through Audubon for many years now. I'd also recommend joining them for
these trips to learn even more of the local lore and history of our city
skysharks.

I believe Ruth Taylor is still accepting Seattle peregrine sightings too
but I should let her address this to Tweeterdom herself.

Regarding the new 1201 peregrine website, it is great to see that building
manager, Jeff Kosowski, and his group have been able to finally get this
out to the Internet. We had hoped for this for many years. In the earlier
times, there was concern about hacking, what with the bank and all.

Congratulations to Jeff and 1201 Third Avenue Building. And thanks.

Bud Anderson
Falcon Research Group
Box 248
Bow, WA 98232