[Tweeters] Rufous Hummingbird eating ash

Joy Kosola Johnson joyofwriting at whidbey.com
Thu Apr 4 13:43:21 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

I watched, on multiple occasions, female Rufous Hummingbirds consuming ash.
They chase after tiny insects around a brush pile, but the nearby ash pile is where I have seen them directly on the ground, scooping up several bill-fulls of ash. Their crops show movement, so it is being ingested, at least that far. I presume this is for minerals, perhaps to aid with eggshell development.

This link is to a brief video of the action.
http://www.pugetsoundbackyardbirds.com/Rufous Hummingbird eating ash.html

Craig Johnson

Joy Kosola Johnson
joyofwriting at whidbey.com