[Tweeters] Spring evident at Marymoor Park

Andrew McCormick andy_mcc at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 21:13:27 PDT 2013

Hello Tweets,

On Tuesday morning I led Eastside Audubon's monthly walk at Marymoor Park. Despite overcast skies and a bit of a breeze to start the morning, signs that Spring migration is underway were evident. We were greeted by a flock of 60 VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS over the Sammamish River at the river kiosk. A COOPER'S HAWK circled up through the swallows with a meal in its talons before flying off to dine. Thirteen GREAT BLUE HERONS gathered in the area of last year's nests and several were paired up. Not to be outdone the East Meadow had 13 TREE SWALLOWS flying about as what seemed like eight SAVANNAH SPARROWS sang from the grass. One perched on a post to give us a look. Over 20 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were seen in the park during the walk. Ten RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS were also seen with one group of five foraging together along the rowing club access road. Three RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS were seen at close range. A total of 46 species were seen or heard.

Andy McCormick
Bellevue, WA