[Tweeters] FOY Common Yellowthroat

Wyatt Hersey skateyono at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:40:48 PDT 2013

Slowly returning to my bike from my daily walk down on Mud Bay I was
stopped in my tracks by a particular call note. I heard a few of the sharp
"tchat" calls coming from a small Salmonberry thicket just north of the
trail I was walking on and upon investigation found four individuals, three
male, one female. As the three males took turns chasing each other and
periodically letting out their which-i-ty songs the female posed
beautifully beneath a salmonberry flower, calling periodically. Eventually
I got some good views of the males, their white lined masks contrasting
beautifully with their smooth yellow-green bodies. A breeze swooped in from
the north and I became surrounded by the intoxicating scent of the solitary
Cottonwood that was standing not 30 feet from me, which until this point I
had thought to be dead. All around the robins are singing loudly as are the
many other regulars.
I can't wait to observe the male Yellowthroats outline their territories in
song this spring and summer!

Hoping you are all well,

Wyatt Hersey
Olympia, WA