[Tweeters] Nesting Burrowing Owls East Yakima County

Roger Moyer rogermoyer1 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 13:18:12 PDT 2013

I went birding in Yakima County Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday. Working on my year county year list. Added close to 16 species to the list. Lots of species out and migration is definitely started. Birds of note FOS C. Teal., Two singing Sage Thrashers, FOS Savannah Sparrow, Black-necked Stilts, and some Least Sandpipers. The best birds of the weekend though were Burrowing Owls. I know they aren't uncommon here in Eastern Washington. However, I found a nest in Eastern Yakima County and took some friends out to see them Sunday. We were scanning around looking at the other birds in the area and we discovered a second nest within about 100 years of the first nest. As I have only lived in Yakima for a short time so I am only going on what long time birders say. But one nest is not a common find these days let along two.

Roger Moyer