[SZ4D] Sessions of interest at the 2022 AGU Fall Meeting

SZ4D Office contact at sz4d.org
Wed Jul 13 15:42:32 PDT 2022

Several sessions of interest to the SZ4D community will take place at the
2022 Fall AGU Meeting, December 12-16, in Chicago and online. See below for
more details.

*Abstract submission now open.*

*Submit an abstract <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Home/0>*

*Deadline: 3 August 2022 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT*

Not seeing your session? Send us an email at contact at sz4d.org and we’ll
include it to the next listserv.

NH019 - Performance, Progress, and Promotion of Earthquake Early Warning
Worldwide <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/162091>

Conveners: Elizabeth S Cochran (U.S. Geological Survey), Danielle Sumy
(Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology), Jessie K Saunders
(Caltech), Sara McBride (U.S. Geological Survey), Amy L Williamson (UC
Berkeley)

In 1993, Mexico initiated the first earthquake early warning (EEW) system
with public alerting. The United States, Japan, Taiwan, India, Romania,
Israel, Italy, New Zealand, and others are now in various stages of
development and deployment of EEW systems. EEW pushes the frontiers of
science and engineering yet is an inherently social and humanitarian effort
to protect people and key infrastructure from the effects of strong ground
shaking. EEW alerts must be issued quickly to provide actionable warning;
thus, we must find novel solutions to detect, characterize, and communicate
expected shaking based on limited observations. This session explores
innovations in data acquisition and telemetry; geophysical algorithm
developments that determine alert regions; and education and messaging
tailored to mitigate risk and meet societal needs. We welcome abstracts on
the intersection of earthquake science, engineering, technology, education,
and social science that improve the reliability and utility of EEW systems.

V020 - Volcano Seismology and Acoustics: Recent Advances in Understanding
Volcanic Processes
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/157245>

Conveners: Oliver D Lamb (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill),
Helen A Janiszewski

(University of Hawaii at Manoa), Jacqueline Caplan-Auerbach (Western
Washington University), Josh A Crozier (USGS California Volcano Observatory)

Hazardous phenomena at volcanoes include ash plumes, gas emissions,
explosions, pyroclastic density currents, lava flows, lahars, and mass
wasting. All of these processes produce seismic and acoustic signals that
can provide key real-time information for assessing hazardous surface and
atmospheric activity. We can also gain insights into the structure and
activity state of volcanoes by identifying and tracking the movement of
subsurface magma and hydrothermal fluids using seismicity and seismic
imaging techniques. Recent advances in seismo-acoustic instrumentation,
deployment techniques, and data analysis have promoted more precise
characterization and quantification of the physical mechanisms leading to
and accompanying volcanic phenomena. Thus, volcano seismology and acoustics
remains a rapidly developing area of research. We welcome submissions that
present new seismic, infrasound, and hydroacoustic observations,
interpretations, models, instrumentation, or techniques that improve our
understanding of volcanic processes and assist future monitoring efforts.

Invited speakers are Ettore Biondi from Caltech and Julia Gestrich from the
University of Alaska Fairbanks.

T017 - Subduction Top to Bottom (ST2B) — Origin and Evolution of Magmatic
Arcs <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/161936>

Conveners: Gray E Bebout (Lehigh University), David William Scholl
(University of Alaska Fairbanks), Robert J Stern (University of Texas at
Dallas), Ikuko Wada (University of Minnesota Twin Cities)

To the SZ4D community,

This is an advertisement for a session on the Origin and Evolution of
Magmatic Arcs to be run at the Fall 2022 AGU meeting in Chicago (Dec.
12-16).

This session is a part of the Subduction Top to Bottom venture, the latter
in which we stress multidisciplinary approaches to study of subduction
processes. This pursuit recently resulted in a Themed Issue with 74 papers
at the journal GEOSPHERE (all Open Access):

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/geosphere/pages/st2b2

We seek multidisciplinary perspectives on the processes leading to the
formation and evolution of magmatic arcs (field/geological, geophysical,
geochemical, experimental, theoretical). We encourage you to consider
participating in this session - the abstract deadline is August 3.

Session description: The ST2B pursuit highlights and fosters
multidisciplinary research on subduction margins, gathering scientists
representing the full array of approaches and perspectives. In this
session, we focus attention on factors and processes leading to arc
magmatism, both modern and ancient, aimed at refining our understanding of
primary forcing factors (including structural controls) for the production
and positioning of arcs and exploring the great diversity in arc systems.
We hope to sponsor discussion of all aspects of arc evolution, including
but not limited to the impact of forearc dynamics, the nature of the
subduction interface, slab devolatilization and melting, the physical and
chemical characteristics of slab/sediment-derived “fluids,” mantle wedge
thermal, rheological, and chemical evolution, the role of diapirs, and
whole-margin volatiles cycling. We hope to stimulate discussion among
geodynamic modelers, geophysicists, geochemists, and experimentalists, and
to engage those investigating ancient arc magmatism and Earth’s long-term
history of subduction.

Invited speakers:

Christy Till (Arizona State University)

Leif Karlstrom (University of Oregon)

GC076 - Science and Technology towards Achieving Surface Topography and
Vegetation Structure Measurements
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/161922>

Conveners: Andrea Donnellan (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California
Institute of Technology

Convener), Craig L Glennie (University of Houston)

The 2017 Decadal Survey for Earth Science and Applications from Space
identified the Surface Topography and Vegetation (STV) as a targeted
observable for maturation. STV will acquire high-resolution, global height
measurements, including bare surface land topography, ice topography,
vegetation structure, and shallow water bathymetry. These measurements will
serve a broad range of science and applications objectives that span solid
earth, cryosphere, biosphere and hydrosphere disciplines. A common set of
measurements could meet many of the community needs serving a wide array of
disciplines. STV objectives would be best met by new observing strategies
that employ flexible multi-source and sensor measurements from a variety of
orbital and sub-orbital assets. Science and application objectives focusing
on Solid Earth, Vegetation Structure, Cryosphere, Hydrology, and Coastal
Processes would be best met by new, 3-dimensional observations from lidar,
radar, and stereo photogrammetry. Simulations, experiments, data analysis
and technology development in interferometric SAR, lidar and stereo
photogrammetry approaches, platform options and system architectures will
all mature STV toward an observing system. This session invites submissions
on science and technology maturation activities for STV. The complete STV
report from the first incubation study team can be found at
https://science.nasa.gov/earth-science/decadal-stv/

T002 - Comparative investigations of Slow-to-Fast Earthquakes:
Observations, Experiments, and Numerical Modeling
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/157747>

Conveners: Yoshihiro Ito (Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto
University, Laura M Wallace (University of Texas at Austin), Matt Ikari
(MARUM, University of Bremen), Victor M Cruz-Atienza (Universidad Nacional
Autónoma de México)

Both slow and fast ruptures on faults are commonly observed in a variety of
tectonic environments worldwide. This session aims to identify the factors
that control such slow and fast ruptures using data obtained from seismic
and geodetic observations, geological fieldwork, laboratory experiments,
and numerical modeling. We welcome multidisciplinary contributions that
undertake comparisons among different subduction margins and other plate
boundary environments to reveal the physical processes that control slow
vs. fast earthquakes, and the linkages between these phenomena. By
distinguishing both global and regional factors controlling the slow and
fast rupture processes, an ultimate goal is to develop a conceptual model
explaining their occurrence. In addition to investigations focused on fault
slip, we also welcome contributions revealing slow vs. fast deformation
processes in landslide and glacial environments, as these may provide
important analogues to increase understanding.

T011 - Multiscale Crustal Deformation in Subduction Zones and the
Megathrust Earthquake Cycle: Progress from Observations and Models
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/157148>

Conveners: Haipeng Luo (McGill University), Matthew W Herman (California
State University Bakersfield), Aron J Meltzner (Nanyang Technological
University), Donna J Shillington (Northern Arizona University)

The timescales of deformation in subduction zones span seconds to millions
of years. Associated with these timescales is a spectrum of deformation
behavior, from elastic to permanent brittle or ductile. The patterns of
slip on the plate boundary throughout the megathrust earthquake cycle and
the rheology of crust and mantle are central to this deformation. There is
also a complex relationship between short- and long-term deformation
processes. Observations from modern seismology, geodesy, paleogeodesy,
geophysics, and geology along with advances in modeling capabilities are
revealing the details of these processes. As a result, there is much new
understanding of the crustal deformation at subduction margins across time
and space in association with megathrust coupling/slip and subduction zone
rheology along with other tectonic and non-tectonic processes. We welcome
submissions on all aspects of crustal deformation to explore the geodynamic
processes governing earthquake cycles and the long-term evolution of the
subduction margins.