[SZ4D] NSF funds the Alaska and Cascadia Near-Trench Geodetic Experiment!!

Newman, Andy anewman at gatech.edu
Mon Aug 15 18:32:40 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We are very excited to report that the NSF has funded the Alaska and Cascadia Near-Trench Geodetic Experiment.

This project is a five-year effort that will establish 12 new seafloor geodetic sites split equally across the two subduction environments and will support the development of new and open software for GNSS-Acoustic processing, development of findable and accessible data standards, a series of short courses ("Future-PI", and GNSS-Acoustic Processing), and “Apply-to-Sail” opportunities in each location. While not a SZ4D experiment, this project will well compliment planned SZ4D activities and goals for understanding megathrust deformatio behavior.

We sincerely thank all that have helped thus far, including those that have helped to organize and manage workshops, as well as provide fruitful insight into planning for this community experiment both directly and through community efforts during our recent planning workshop in May. We further thank those partners that are planning to offer ongoing collaborations, including the USGS and Ocean Sciences Canada.

We will present on the project plan, current and upcoming activity at AGU this December, and will create a dedicated web page with project details shortly at www.seafloorgeodesy.org<https://www.seafloorgeodesy.org>

The Community Experiment PI Team,
Noel Bartlow, Donna Charlevoix, Andrew Newman, David Schmidt, Surui Xie, Spahr Webb, and Mark Zumberge

--
Andrew V. Newman
Professor and Undergraduate Coordinator