[pccgrads] PCC Outreach Opportunity: Guest Speaker at High School

Madeleine Strait mstrait at uw.edu
Mon Mar 27 16:02:58 PDT 2023

Hi all,

We have an exciting community outreach opportunity for you! We have
received a request from a 12th grade Environmental Science teacher at
Summit Atlas High School for a guest speaker. They are looking for a
researcher or graduate student that would be willing to visit and speak
with the class about their work. This is a great opportunity for you to
engage with our broader community and practice your science communication
skills. The event specifics are outlined below:

*Event specifics:*
*The class is conducting research and preparing poster presentations for a
mock Global Climate Summit. They are mostly focusing on how climate change
is anticipated to affect different countries based on their population,
geography, and economic status, and trying to develop international
protocols to prevent or mitigate these effects. The ideal guest speaker
would be able to talk to the students about something related to the topics
above but if you're interested and your research isn't exactly related,
please still reach out!*

*They are looking for volunteers to visit the high school sometime between
March 27th (today) and May 30th. The ideal partnership would involve 3
visits - one near the beginning of the project, one in the middle, and one
at the end. However, they are more than happy to have one-off visitors as
well.*

*The visit would be about 30-45 minutes and involve a brief introduction of
yourself and journey into climate science, followed by a brief description
of your current work, and wrapping up with student Q&A.*

*If you are interested in volunteering for this opportunity, please let me
know by the end of the week (3/31)*. When you email, I will confirm your
interest and connect you and other volunteers with the teacher.

Thanks!
Madeleine Strait
PCC Graduate Student Advisory Committee member
Public Engagement Subcommittee member
--
*Madeleine Strait* (she/her)
PhD Student, Brosi Lab <https://www.brosilab.org/>