[pccgrads] PCC ACORN project

UW Program on Climate Change: ACORN Projects pccacorn at uw.edu
Thu Jan 19 08:38:09 PST 2023

Reminder to let us know by *Wednesday, January 25th *if you are interested
in this project, or interested in learning more! Please do not hesitate to
reach out with questions.

If you want to learn more about ACORN, this project, and/or the project
partner, please* join us on Monday, January 23rd*. See details below:

Attention! Graduate students interested in engaging around
climate communication and solutions, and those who want more info on:

1. The Graduate Certificate in Climate Science
<https://pcc.uw.edu/education/graduate-certificate/> and required
Climate Communication Capstone project
2. Actionable Community-Oriented Research eNgagement (ACORN)
<https://pcc.uw.edu/research/acorn-program/>projects and
3. Project ideas from potential collaborators inside and outside the UW
(see list below).

*Please join others with similar interests on *
*Jan 23 at 3pm in OCN 425*

Miriam Bertram, PCC Assistant Director and PCC Capstone Adviser, LuAnne
Thompson, PCC Interim Director, and PGraSC/ACORN leaders, and potential
partners will all be there. Names of those joining us, and their
affiliations and potential projects are listed below.

-

Rishi Sugla and Anam Mehta, CIG-Northwest Climate Resilience
Collaborative (NCRC). Develop curriculum for a pilot summer school for
students, technical experts, and community experts wanting to work in
relationships of co-production and solidarity with frontline communities.
Curriculum Development.
-

Leigh Anderson and Didier Alia, Evans School Policy Analysis and
Research and UW Center for Risk and Inclusion in Food Systems
(CRIFS) See recent
blog post
<https://pcc.uw.edu/blog/2022/06/08/first-steps-climate-change-curriculum-for-agricultural-analysts-and-decision-makers-in-sub-saharan-africa/>
on completed project. Curriculum Development.
-

Makoto Eyre,
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/in/makotoeyre/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!j_lYDg4Ec-s882w6qHUNeV7_oQ3WvrH0A_5liZ8qujIF4-YZ0RBZc43mSUiHHAbHjF8SRib_CQWPFCOSsjs5$>CEO
and Chief Engineer of Homeostasis
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/in/makotoeyre/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!j_lYDg4Ec-s882w6qHUNeV7_oQ3WvrH0A_5liZ8qujIF4-YZ0RBZc43mSUiHHAbHjF8SRib_CQWPFCOSsjs5$>,
a CO2 removal & utilization startup based in Tacoma, WA. They focus on
producing graphite (critical material for electrodes for energy storage
solutions) out of atmospheric CO2.
-

Lauren Silver, Executive director of the Snoqualmie Valley Preservation
Alliance (SVPA). Help SVPA get started investigating the economic impacts
of flooding on the Snoqualmie Valley’s food and farming system. First phase
is collecting relevant data from farmers and assisting SVPA staff with
developing a high-level report on impacts to share with key stakeholders
and decision-makers.
-

Mark Windschitl, Professor, UW Science Education. Climate Science
education, including teacher-scientist workshops. See blog post
<https://pcc.uw.edu/blog/2021/06/05/lessons-learned-how-can-we-connect-middle-school-students-to-climate-change-and-ocean-acidification/>
on past project. Can have conversations with grad students who want to
integrate education into their projects.
-

Mary Manous, Cascadia Climate Action, Mentor and partner for
Schooner/Pub Talks and other outreach.
-

Neil Davis, a software engineer at Microsoft interested in getting
involved in the climate tech space and supporting projects that help with
carbon reduction or transitioning away from oil and gas.

Thinking you'll join us? Let me know here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSflG_RKEpFsHQtpu1dPvW1VyCicE16hTDShXdHk3-ojtpQ94Q/viewform?usp=sf_link__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!j_lYDg4Ec-s882w6qHUNeV7_oQ3WvrH0A_5liZ8qujIF4-YZ0RBZc43mSUiHHAbHjF8SRib_CQWPFP4xUENJ$>
.
We'll have cookies at tea and conversation for the last 15-30 minutes, so
registering will help with planning.

--
Acorn Project Team
Program on Climate Change