[pccgrads] Join Crab Team's Bait Party! Sign Up Today!

Aina Hori ainalh at uw.edu
Tue Feb 14 14:14:32 PST 2023

Hello PCC Community,

Washington Sea Grant's Crab Team is requesting your help with our annual
bait party!

Washington Sea Grant <https://wsg.washington.edu/about-wsg/> works with
other departments and federal and state agencies to research, communicate,
and provide outreach on the use and conservation of the marine environment
and its resources. Within Washington Sea Grant, Crab Team
<https://wsg.washington.edu/crabteam/> monitors the occurrence of the invasive
European green crab <https://wsg.washington.edu/crabteam/greencrab/> in
Washington waters. This is done using baited traps, so we have an annual
bait party to cut and bag hundreds of pounds of mackerel for bait. In order
to accomplish this big job, we need your help. There are plenty of
volunteer tasks ranging from cutting, weighing, and bagging fish. It can
get a bit messy, but there are a few tasks for which you can avoid handling
fish as well, if that's not your thing.

This year's bait party will be on *Wednesday, 2/22,* *Friday, 2/24,*
*Wednesday,
3/1* and *Friday, 3/3* from *9:00AM - 5:00PM* at the *Old Hatchery in the
UW Fisheries Center (FIS)
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/47%C2%B038'54.8%22N+122%C2%B018'33.6%22W/@47.6486296,-122.3094549,79m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d47.6485556!4d-122.3093333>
*which
you may also know as the Portage Bay Building. The last Friday on 3/3 may
not be needed depending on our progress, so we may cancel this day and will
let you know on 2/24 if we do so.

*If you are interested in joining in on this fun, please sign up here
<http://tinyurl.com/2023baitparty> for at least a 2 hour session (by
selecting 2 consecutive shifts) by Tuesday**, 2/21. *After you sign up, I
will email you to confirm your shifts and provide further details.

If you have any questions, please email me at ainalh at uw.edu. Thank you for
considering helping at this year's Crab Team bait party!

[image: Crab Team Bait Party.gif]

All the best,
Crab Team