Luanne Thompson luanne at uw.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:56:23 PDT 2023

FYI. LuAnne

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Devin Collins <dvncoll at uw.edu>
Date: Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 2:38 PM
To: <allurban at u.washington.edu>

Hello,
My name is Devin Collins, I'm a graduate student in the Sociology
department and I am currently working on a project to conduct this year's
annual homelessness point-in-time count. We are currently looking for
graduate students to help us with this effort. Would you mind sharing the
following call for graduate student research volunteers with your listserv?
Thanks so much! Please let me know if you have any questions.
--
Devin Collins
Graduate Student | Department of Sociology

-----------------------
Subject: Research Volunteers Needed for Homelessness Count!

Body:

UW 2023 Seattle area homeless count Project is looking for Graduate Student
Volunteers

-

Do you want to get involved in a large scale social science research
project to improve the measurement and lives of people experiencing
homelessness in King County?
-

Want to learn more about homelessness in King County?
-

Want to be part of collecting data on homelessness that policymakers can
use?
-

Want to know how we study homelessness?
-

Want to get off campus and actually talk to the people we’re studying?

Consider joining the UW 2023 Seattle area homeless count Project Team!

Zack Almquist (Sociology), Amy Hagopian (Department of Health Systems and
Population Health), and Nathalie Williams (Sociology) are leading this
year's Homelessness Point-in-Time Count. The plan is to have undergraduate
students administer short surveys to individuals experiencing homelessness
across 10+ sites from April 17-May 15 using respondent-driven sampling
(RDS) methods to improve measurement of this population.

We are currently looking for *graduate student volunteers* to help manage
the sites. Site managers are expected to commit at least 4 hours a week to
manage coupons for the RDS recruitment, supervise undergraduates, and help
administer surveys at your chosen location. See site locations here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z6ONcYpE3Af7Aqdg0vYwfksCLOdiZYNx-Y0Uh3z8D_s/edit?usp=sharing__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!lxqlE5GKrmG5wJ2d_MEOqp-TkZQOFhg27yFKei2F4mTgkC8zAzdIwJ3HJwj8EQJgmslw0e5ugy5Fnw$>
and detailed site manager responsibilities here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/document/d/14e25qne6C7hkxMRkAr7dDBdClS0DAULcW1UdwRGv4_k/edit?usp=sharing__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!lxqlE5GKrmG5wJ2d_MEOqp-TkZQOFhg27yFKei2F4mTgkC8zAzdIwJ3HJwj8EQJgmslw0e6Pnx-OGw$>.
There may be some compensation for site managers and reimbursements or car
rentals for help to get to remote locations. Research, sensitivity, and
trauma training will also be provided. The first training will be held this
*Thursday* (4/6) from 11:30-1:30 in South Campus Center (SOCC) 308.
Additionally, there will be opportunities to publish papers, policy
reports, and earn independent study credits with Zack.

Learn more about the project here
<https://sites.uw.edu/rds-pit2023/graduate-student-volunteer-recruitment/>
and fill out this Google form
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf6fw4jMHztlwvm6LEIhXJbe_Tu7h2x2E4jr6wluwIsvH1E_w/viewform__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!lxqlE5GKrmG5wJ2d_MEOqp-TkZQOFhg27yFKei2F4mTgkC8zAzdIwJ3HJwj8EQJgmslw0e7oqo4TKg$>
if you are interested in joining.

Please also share this with graduate students you know in other departments!

If you have any additional questions, contact Zack Almquist (
zalmquist at uw.edu).