[pccgrads] FINAL CALL: Last Day to sign-up for 2022 Graduate Student Research Derby (Mar 30-31)

Kristin Privitera-Johnson kpjohns at uw.edu
Mon Mar 14 09:00:00 PDT 2022

Calling all College of the Environment Graduate Students!

We are now recruiting *~6 more graduate students* to participate in the
College of the Environment Research Derby! This is a two-day event in which
teams of 3-5 grad students collaborate to design and implement a novel
research project. At the end of the derby, teams present their findings in
the form of a 15-20 minute presentation to students and faculty. This
year’s event will be held on March 30th and 31st in the Fishery Sciences
Building (FSH).

Research Derby is a great opportunity to meet students from other
departments in the College of the Environment. Previous derby projects have
resulted in peer-reviewed publications and have even garnered media
coverage (HERE!
<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vv7qbd/your-tuna-might-not-really-be-tuna>).
There will also be cash prizes for the first and second place teams!

Master’s and PhD students are welcome to participate, regardless of how far
into your program you are. We will provide working space, meals, and
snacks. Participants are expected to show up for both days with their
freshest research ideas and a cooperative spirit.

See commonly asked questions below! Interested? Please fill out our Google
form <https://forms.gle/cLjXpHDS3bELtPZy8> to sign up by today March 14,
2022. Capacity may be capped based on the availability of space.

Hope to see you in March!

John Best, Kristin Privitera-Johnson, and Emily Sellinger

Research Derby Coordinators

*Here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions about the
event:*

Will we work for two straight days, without sleep?

No! Teams work for two full days, but not without rest or sleep. For the
sake of you and your team, please go home and sleep at night.

I have a class/meeting I need to attend. Can I still participate?

Yes. Abdicating obligations as a student/person is not a condition of
participation, nor is it encouraged.

I'm a first-year graduate student. Is Research Derby open to me?

Yes! We highly encourage first-year students (MS or PhD) to participate. We
will split teams to ensure a diversity of academic experience levels,
departments, and labs are represented on each team.

I don’t have experience with [specific skill]. Will I be able to contribute
to my team’s project?

Yes. You don’t need [specific skill] to contribute. If you are a graduate
student in one of the departments invited to participate, you have skills
that will be helpful to your team.

Do I need to come up with a research idea?

No. Teams are encouraged to pursue their own ideas, but we will also have a
list of ideas from faculty.

I have an obligation that will prevent me from presenting on March 31. Can
I still participate?

Yes. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend the presentations, but
attendance is not mandatory. At least one person will need to present on
behalf of your team, but teams often tag-team presentations.

--
Kristin Privitera-Johnson (she/her)
PhD Student

e-mail: kpjohns at uw.edu