[pccgrads] PCC Outreach Opportunity - Virtual guest speaker for CA middle school

Claire Schollaert cscholla at uw.edu
Tue Jun 21 16:44:05 PDT 2022

Hi all,

We have an exciting community outreach opportunity for you! We have received a request from a middle school in Laguna Niguel, California who is looking for guest speakers to present in a middle school-level environmental science class in either January or June 2023 (the specific date will be coordinated with the teacher based on your availability). They are particularly interested is speakers with expertise in ocean acidification, sea level rise, albedo effect, extreme weather events, global temperature rise, glacial retreat, increase/changes in human disease distribution, migration pattern disruptions, and solutions to climate change. The speaker would not need to present on all of these topics, but would ideally be able to communicate their passion and knowledge of at least one. This is a great opportunity for you to engage with our broader community and practice your science communication skills. The event specifics are outlined below:

Event specifics:

* WHO: Students, faculty, or staff with expertise in areas listed above
* WHAT: Give a guest lecture to middle school students
* WHEN/WHERE: January and/or June 2023 via Zoom

If you are interested in volunteering for this opportunity, please let me know by July 1st, 2022 and I will choose volunteers in order of responses to this email. When you email, I will confirm your interest and connect you and other volunteers with the event managers.

Thanks!

Claire Schollaert
PCC Graduate Student Advisory Committee member
Public Engagement Subcommittee member