[pccgrads] Climate Dynamics winter quarter-with Kyle Armour and Gerard Roe

Miriam A. Bertram mab23 at uw.edu
Fri Dec 30 16:04:02 PST 2022

Dear PCC grad students,

Gerard Roe and I will be teaching Climate Dynamics (ATM S 591/ OCEAN 569 /
ESS 590) this winter quarter. The course is 3 credits and meets TTh
2:00-3:20 in JHN 011. It’s intended for PhD students of all levels who are
doing research on some aspect of climate.

The course examines Earth’s climate dynamics from the perspective of recent
research that has focused on the energy budget. Topics include: the
processes that control Earth’s climatology; radiative feedbacks and climate
sensitivity; timescales of climate response to forcing; mechanisms of
climate variability; oceanic and atmospheric heat transport from an energy
budget perspective; the role of ocean circulation in climate change; the
surface energy budget and hydrologic cycle changes with global warming; why
global warming scales linearly with cumulative carbon emissions; and
sources of uncertainty in climate prediction. These topics are explored
through a hierarchy of idealized physical models, as well as their
application towards understanding the complex system dynamics seen in both
nature and general circulation models (GCMs).

Spread the word, and I hope you can join us! Let me know if you have any
questions about the class.

Kyle

Kyle C. Armour
Associate Professor