[pccgrads] 2023 SIParCS Internship Applications Are Open!

Luanne Thompson luanne at uw.edu
Thu Dec 1 08:55:43 PST 2022

Cool opportunity at NCAR next summer!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Virginia Do <vdo at ucar.edu>
Date: Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 8:01 AM
Subject: 2023 SIParCS Internship Applications Are Open!
To: cisl <cisl at ucar.edu>
Cc: siparcs_mentors <siparcs_mentors at ucar.edu>

Please share widely with interested students.

[image: 2022 SIParCS Cohort in front of the Flatirons in Boulder, CO]

SIParCS applications are open!

We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for the
2023 Summer Internships in Parallel Computational Science (SIParCS). The
application deadline for the 2023 SIParCS program is *January 13, 2023 at
5pm Mountain Time*.

This year we are offering undergraduate and graduate students the
opportunity to work with *16 projects* ranging in topic from machine
learning, data science, software engineering, data assimilation, digital
asset management, visualization, and application
optimization/parallelization in HPC among others. If you're interested in
applying, please visit our website
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/outreach/internships__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WORhqw9U$>
to review
our technical statements of work and apply to up to two projects you would
like to work with. To learn more about the SIParCS experience, check out
our video
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtu.be/hCE2B-KiYiw__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17Wzmng1Kw$>
.

We also have a CISL Outreach, Diversity, and Education (CODE) Intern
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/outreach/internships/code__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WmWpkVN4$>,
for graduate students in Higher Education Administration / Student Affairs,
Science Education, Education Policy, Social Work, or related programs who
are interested in learning about HPC Education and Outreach.

See How to Apply
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/outreach/internships/how_to_apply__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WnAoM8jA$>
for
tips on applying to SIParCS. Applicants will be required to submit the
following:

1. Application through HR website (no more than two (2) projects)
2. CV/Resume
3. Personal Statement
4. Unofficial Transcript (from all institutions attended)
5. Contact information for TWO references (submit names here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdtj17Vhf71bLlC1ltmbGMNsk-wuJesGoiy3GmvepC8HwoqUg/viewform__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WxCX6ZMU$>
)

Share this email widely to students who may be interested in an internship
at NCAR next summer. International Students who are eligible to work in the
U.S. are welcomed and encouraged to apply.

As part of our goal of making a long-term, positive impact on the quality
and diversity of the HPC workforce, the SIParCS program welcomes and
encourages applications from students who are pursuing their first
professional internship. As many CISL staff can attest, the path to an HPC
career can follow many twists and turns. Be sure to tell us in your
personal statement how all of your work, school, and life experiences have
prepared you for taking on a SIParCS project.

As always, if you have any questions about the program or the application
process, you can reach us at siparcs at ucar.edu or 303-497-1249. Feel free
to set-up an appointment to learn more about our program.

- The SIParCS Team

------------------------------

*SIParCS Office Hours*

Want to talk to someone about how to apply to SIParCS or learn what the
program is like? Join the SIParCS Office Hours on Google Meet
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://meet.google.com/itt-cobj-hvg__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WZD_vuTM$>!
No appointment necessary, just drop in! If this time doesn't work for you,
please email siparcs at ucar.edu to make an appointment.

- Tuesday, December 6, 11am-12pm MST
- Wednesday, December 14, 11am-12pm MST
- Tuesday, December 20, 11am-12pm MST
- Wednesday, December 28, 10am-11am MST
- Wednesday, January 4, 11am-12pm MST
- Tuesday, January 10, 11am-12pm MST
- Friday, January 13, 10am-11am MST

All Office Hours will be held on Google Meet
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://meet.google.com/itt-cobj-hvg__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WZD_vuTM$>
(http://meet.google.com/itt-cobj-hvg
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://meet.google.com/itt-cobj-hvg__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WZD_vuTM$>)
and times are in Mountain Standard Time (MST)

*Virginia Do*
*Outreach Manager & SIParCS Internship Program Director*
CISL Outreach, Diversity, & Education (CODE)
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
vdo at ucar.edu | Office (303) 497-1249 | Mobile (714) 642-9732

National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
Computational & Information Systems Laboratory (CISL)
PO Box 3000 Boulder, CO 80307

SIParCS Internship Program
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/siparcs__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!g_zuKVH4CPLJBrknQbfzQs_8VylTro3jPmGAH6Vx1GMODJ3bfR5QN1Ltaxe8XKChXVjBE17WkxoBchw$>
and