[pccgrads] Apply to give a brewery talk at the spring Schooner Series!

Claire Schollaert cscholla at uw.edu
Fri Apr 15 15:02:00 PDT 2022

Dear PCC folks,

As you may be aware, the PCC Graduate Student Committee (PGraSC) began a graduate student-led climate outreach effort called the “Schooner” in 2019, as an offshoot of the popular Climate Science on Tap<http://cascadiaclimateaction.org/on-tap/> from Cascadia Climate Action<http://cascadiaclimateaction.org/>, a fiscally-sponsored project of CascadiaNow! a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Quarterly, we hosted the Schooner to bring climate outreach panels to breweries around Seattle to foster communication and conversation between UW graduate students and the public concerning climate change, its causes, impacts and solutions. During the pandemic, we switched to a virtual format but are now excited to announce that we will be bringing back the Schooner, live and in-person, this spring in collaboration with Cascadia Climate Action.

We are looking for speakers for our next in-person brewery event, which is scheduled to take place the evening of May 25th at Bickersons Brewhouse in Ballard (formerly Peddlers Brewing). The theme is “Climate Hazards in the Pacific Northwest” and we are looking for 3-4 people to give ~10 minute talks on their research or general interests related to this theme of local and regional climate hazards and their impacts. Possible topics could include but are not limited to:

* Science behind climate-related hazards (i.e. sea-level rise, heat waves, wildfires, etc.)
* Environmental justice impacts of climate hazards
* Health impacts of climate hazards
* Local/regional/national policy developments
* Community/individual-level solutions (i.e. what actions can audience members take to contribute to hazard-related adaptation and/or mitigation)

To apply to be a speaker, please send us 1) what topic you’re excited to talk about (it does not necessarily have to be one of the topics listed above, but should be closely

related to the theme), and 2) a little about yourself (e.g., UW department, grad student or postdoc, your research area, and your experience with giving talks accessible to the

public). Through our selection process, we will aim for a diverse panel of speakers that we feel can communicate a broad set of perspectives targeted to a lay audience.

Please submit your short application here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZkoj5yTgbasKNpVb0-33g_wYPjNRKzUvOG3flqCxqW9CQ1A/viewform?usp=sf_link> by Friday April 22.

Once speakers are chosen, we will ask to see a preview of your presentation 2 weeks in advance to be reviewed by members of the P-GraSC Public Engagement Committee and partners at CCA. CCA has extensive experience working with Climate Science on Tap speakers to put on engaging events that stimulate meaningful conversation. Schooner Series presenters will have the opportunity to get valuable feedback on their presentations from CCA partners, making this an excellent opportunity to advance your presentation skills to lay audiences.

If you have any questions about the Schooner Series or your application, please reach out to me (Claire Schollaert, cscholla at uw.edu)

Thanks!

Claire

PCC Graduate Student Advisory Committee member

Public Engagement Subcommittee member