[pccgrads] Fwd: don't forget Kevin Anchukaitis's talk today at 3:30 in SEFS (Anderson Hall, 207)

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Oct 30 13:22:50 PDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Eric Steig <steig at uw.edu>
Date: Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 1:08 PM
Subject: don't forget Kevin Anchukaitis's talk today at 3:30 in SEFS
(Anderson Hall, 207)
To: Quaternary Research Center <qrc at uw.edu>, <uwpcc at uw.edu>

https://qrc.uw.edu/about/events/#/?i=1

Talk Title: Volcanic influences on the Climate of the Common Era

Spatiotemporal climate reconstructions from high resolution proxies offer
opportunities to examine patterns of climate anomalies in both time and
space and use these to diagnose causal mechanisms linked to radiative
forcing and internal modes of ocean-atmosphere variability. Here, we use
new reconstructions of Common Era temperatures to investigate the response
of the climate system to volcanic eruptions. Our tree-ring reconstructions
of Northern Hemisphere summer temperatures shows coherent, broad-scale
cooling associated with large tropical and high latitude volcanic
eruptions. Cooling persists in some cases for 2 or more years following
eruptions and different eruptions reveal different magnitudes and spatial
patterns that are not clearly associated with the estimated radiative
forcing. Our coral-based reconstruction of tropical sea surface
temperatures shows cooling of the western Pacific and Indian Ocean in
response to well-dated tropical eruptions but no statistically significant
response in the eastern tropical Pacific, suggesting a reduction in the
tropical Pacific temperature gradient but not a consistent nor canonical El
Nino pattern. Climate models simulate an overall larger cooling in the
western Pacific and Indian Ocean than the reconstructions and produce a
variety of anomalies in the eastern Pacific. New spatiotemporal climate
reconstructions can provide useful benchmarks for comparing proxy
reconstructions with model simulations and may help identify the origins
and sources of disagreement. Data assimilation approaches provide new
opportunities for global multivariate field reconstructions, but an
understanding of the contributions from diverse proxies in time and space
remains

--
Program on Climate Change at the University of Washington
Office Phone: 206-543-6521
uwpcc at uw.edu
pcc.uw.edu