[pccgrads] PCC Outreach Opportunity - Schooner Series

Annika Horlings annikah2 at uw.edu
Mon Oct 21 13:42:52 PDT 2019

Dear PCC folks,

We have an exciting outreach opportunity for you! As you may already be
familiar with, the PCC Graduate Student Committee (PGraSC) has started a
graduate student-led offshoot of the popular Climate Science on Tap events
<http://cascadiaclimateaction.org/on-tap/> called the *Schooner Series.* We
are hosting events once every quarter at breweries around Seattle to foster
communication and conversation between UW graduate students and the public
concerning climate change.

Our first two events were both successes, and now we are looking for
speakers for our third event! This upcoming event is scheduled to take
place on Thursday, December 5th, 2019 at 7pm. The theme is “*Impacts of
Climate Change on the PNW*,” and we are looking for three people to give
talks related to this theme of local climate change impacts. A few possible
topics to speak on are below:

1.

*Oceans/fisheries in the PNW *
1.

For example, you could touch on ocean acidification and the impact on
shellfish, or on the salmon and orca populations.
2.

*Snowpack/melt in the PNW Cascades*
1.

A lot of us who live in this region care about snow for recreation as
well as for irrigation and drinking water. How might we expect our ski
season or our snow reservoirs to change?
3.

*Sasquatch population (hypothetical)*
1.

We can help you out with this one, but we think that defining a
habitable range for sasquatch (temperature, elevation, tree species) and
showing how the area amenable to sasquatch life will change using climate
projections would be an effective way to communicate projected effects in
the region.
4.

*Agriculture in Eastern WA*
1.

This can touch on how much agriculture in Eastern WA would be
impacted by changing temperatures and water supply. Food, hops, and wine
grapes are all attention-grabbing topics.

Please let us know if you’re interested in helping out by sending us 1)
what topic you’re excited to talk about (it does not necessarily have to be
one of the four listed, but should be closely

related to the theme), and 2) a little about yourself (e.g., UW department,
grad student or postdoc, your research area, and your experience with
giving talks accessible to the public). We’ll generally prioritize
first-come-first-serve, but we aim for a diverse panel and talks that fit
our theme.

Once we have chosen our volunteers, we will ask to see a preview of your
presentation one week in advance. Because this event is aimed at the
general public, we want to be sure that it is accessible to people of all
ages and experiences.

Cheers,

The Public Engagement Subcommittee

The PCC Graduate Student Advisory Committee
--
Annika Horlings (she/her)
Graduate Student, Earth and Space Sciences
annikah2 at uw.edu

To unsubscribe go down to pccgrads Subscribers: