[pccgrads] Registration for the PCC Summer Institute is now available

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Tue May 21 12:30:50 PDT 2019

*Climate Change Impacts on 21st Century Food and Water Security*

*A 2019 University of Washington Program on Climate Change Summer
Institute*

11-13 September 2019

Organized by David Battisti, UW Atmospheric Sciences, and Cecilia Bitz, UW
Atmospheric Sciences and Program on Climate Change Director, with
sponsorship from Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. <https://www.vulcan.com/>

Hosted by University of Washington Friday Harbor Laboratory
<https://fhl.uw.edu/about/> on San Juan Island.

Climate change affects food and water security. The number of
undernourished people has reached over 800 million, with the highest
occurrence in regions where food availability is most threatened by
expected future warming. A related problem is the influence of climate
change on fresh water through direct effects on precipitation and
evaporation and through altering storage in ice/snow and groundwater. The
World Food Programme finds that climate change exacerbates undernourishment
through effects on food availability, access, utilization, and stability.
Population growth and increased demand for food is altering fresh water use
and has created new demands for managing water supply and quality.

The role of climate change on food and water is much more complex than
predicting global or continental trends. The choices we make about food
production and water supply in turn can influence climate change.

Important topics for discussion include:

- What is the role of changes in extreme weather versus climate
long-term trends?
- What methods of downscaling are best for predicting and preparing for
the future?
- How will the monsoons and land aridity change in ways that are
important for food and water?
- How does the diet we eat influence our greenhouse gas footprint?
- How does agriculture influence climate change through changes in
greenhouse gases, albedo and evapotranspiration?
- How is freshwater storage in groundwater and ice/snow influenced by
climate change?

Presentations will be given by about 12 speakers, with up to 5 speakers
from outside UW and the rest from within UW and our local community.
Confirmed Speakers (as of May 21, 2019)

Michelle Tigchelaar, <https://michelletigchelaar.weebly.com> Stanford
University, Climate Change Impacts on Food Systems (Grains especially)

Abby Swann <http://faculty.washington.edu/aswann/>, UW Atmospheric Sciences
and Biology, Climate-Vegetation Coupled Interactions, Climate Modeling

As additional speakers are confirmed speakers we will update the summer
institute event page <https://pcc.uw.edu/events/pcc-summer-institute/>.

*Graduate student and postdoc registrants, watch for paper discussions to
take place later in the summer.*
------------------------------
This year’s Summer Institute is striving for carbon neutrality.

As climate scholars, we value the opportunities to share and showcase
important research surrounding climate change that the Institute provides.
As concerned citizens, we recognize the importance of challenging the
“business-as-usual” status quo and making personal changes to lower our own
carbon footprint. We hope that by achieving our net-zero emissions goal,
this conference can serve as an example that cutting carbon is not an
impossible task, nor is it a total sacrifice. Instead, with careful
planning and mindful decision-making, it is an attainable goal and a step
in the right direction.

To achieve carbon neutrality, we plan to offset the total emissions
generated by the conference, which includes individuals’ transport to and
from the venue in addition to during the conference itself. We will sum up
emissions from everyone’s transportation, food and beverages, electricity,
conference materials such as name tags and posters, and other miscellaneous
sectors, and divide by the total number of participants to reach an average
carbon emissions per person. At the end of the SI, attendees will be given
an estimate and will be invited to discuss options for how to offset the
average emissions. We are currently working to identify an appropriate
carbon offset program to serve our needs.

Registration is now available here <https://forms.gle/6Q84Zt6f9foDZNNA8>.

Registration will close August 28th OR when we reach capacity. After
August 28th please contact Miriam (uwpcc at uw.edu) directly about available
space.