[pccgrads] Coupled Atmosphere - Ocean Interactions will be taught by Battisti in Aut 2019 (ATMS/OCEAN 560)

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon May 20 13:52:02 PDT 2019

ATMS 560/OCN 560, Fall Quarter 2019 Coupled Atmosphere - Ocean
Interactions

TuTh 12-1:20 with David Battisti

Syllabus is attached.

In this course we will examine the interactions between the oceans and
atmosphere which give rise to large-scale climate variability on time
scales of months to years.

The class will be subdivided in four parts:

• The Basic Physics of the Mean Climate: (two weeks) We will start by
reviewing the essential elements (physics and geometry) that are
responsible for the gross features of the mean climate state and the annual
cycle in the global ocean and atmosphere. This introduction will help to
build an intuition for the processes responsible for variability in the
climate system, from seasonal to decadal time scales.

• Uncoupled Atmosphere and Ocean Variability: (two weeks) Included in the
first half of the course will be a brief overview of the dynamics of the
uncoupled tropical oceans and atmosphere.

• Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean Variability in the Tropics: (four weeks) In
this part of the class, we will focus on the dynamics of three important
coupled phenomenon in the climate system: the annual cycle (yes), the El
Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) phenomenon and the Meridional Modes. The
latter two are the most important and simplest examples of natural climate
variability on seasonal to interannual time scales, and they have some
impact on weather outside of the tropics. The Meridional Modes are found in
both the Atlantic and Pacific basins; they are the dominant forcing for
variations in hurricane activity in the Atlantic and the primary energy
source for ENSO.

• Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean Variability in the Midlatitudes: (three weeks)
In this part of the class we will examine the processes associated with
interannual to decadal variability in the midlatitudes. These higher
latitude interactions are thought to result from a fundamentally different
set of dynamics than those in the tropics, and are much more difficult to
sort out in the data. We will start from the ubiquitous impacts of reduced
thermal damping and build to more nuanced and exotic forms of coupled
interactions. We will end with a discussion of the various hypotheses for
the “Pacific Decadal Oscillation” and the “Atlantic Meridional
Oscillation.”