[pccgrads] Pacific Science Center Outreach Opportunity on 5/10

Kelly Carpenter kcarp at uw.edu
Fri May 3 14:42:42 PDT 2019

Hi PCC Grads/Postdocs, please see below for an exciting outreach
opportunity.

*Seattle Indies*, the *University of Washington Earthlab*, *Seattle Serious
and Social Impact Games* and *Pacific Science Center* presents the *second
annual Games For Our Future Game Jam.* This year's theme is *Creating A
Green Tomorrow*. Legislation like The Green New Deal has brought Climate
Change and its potential impact on society to the forefront of public
discourse and once again we are going to be working with top researchers in
the field to help translate their work into meaningful gaming experiences
to help us build a better future for our environment.

The Games For Our Future Game Jam brings game developers and researchers
together for a weekend to learn from each other and show the power of games
to translate complex environmental research into a medium that is both fun
and educational. Form a team with others, or work solo - you decide!

The jam is open to people of all skill levels, newcomers are always welcome
and we will ensure that everyone finds a team to join that fits your skills
and interests. Experienced mentors will be available throughout the weekend
to help answer questions about game development tools, engines, and
principles along with climate change researchers who will be there to
answer your scientific questions.

*We invite scientists and graduate students interested in climate change to
participate as mentors.* This event will be taking place on the weekend of *May
10th-12th* at the Pacific Science Center. If you are plan to be a judge we
ask that you be available at least for the closing on Sunday and either the
Friday or Saturday time slot. Dinner will be provided on Sunday and coffee
and refreshments will be provided on Friday and Saturday. Judging will be
strictly for feedback and honorable mention awards. Those interested to be
mentors can register *HERE
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaqAAyE9howHD5KFDuobdHYTPsDYnGz-6NcT9O02UGU1fctg/viewform>*
.

All participants must complete and pass a quick background check per
requirements of the Pacific Science Center since there will be guests
present during the jam. We encourage participants to interact with Science
Center guests and answer questions about the jam and encourage them to try
your games if the time is right.

*Background check LINK
<https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1797200008>*

This event is open to all ages, participants under 18 must be accompanied
by a parent or guardian at all times. No alcohol or recreational substances
are allowed on site.

Patreon Supporters will also be receiving a 25% discount code for entry to
the jam so if you are a Patreon supporter please wait for the code before
you register. For students with limited resources, there can be a major
discount if you contact Isabel Carrera at micz at uw.edu.

Seattle Indies is an inclusive and welcoming community for everyone. By
attending our events, you are agreeing to follow our code of conduct
(https://www.seattleindies.org/code-of-conduct/
<https://www.seattleindies.org/code-of-conduct/>).

*Details:*

*WHEN:* Friday, May 10, 2019, 6:00 PM to Sunday, May 12, 2019, 9:00 PM
*COST:* Price: $20.00 /per person* (mentors do not pay). Tickets can be
purchased HERE <https://www.meetup.com/SeattleIndies/events/261037015/>.*
*WHERE:* Pacific Science Center; 200 2nd Ave N · Seattle, WA

Here's a video from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lgaTk-LffY&amp=&t=4s

Thanks!