[pccgrads] Climate Science on Tap: Schooner Series-- March 14 @ Flying Bike Coop Brewery!

Alex Stote stote at uw.edu
Tue Mar 5 12:44:42 PST 2019

The UW Program on Climate Change in collaboration with Cascadia Climate
Action is organizing the Schooner Series, a graduate student-led spin off
of Climate Science on Tap. This series offers an opportunity for graduate
students from the University of Washington to converse with the public
about climate change through a series of short educational talks and
discussions. These events are held at breweries and tap houses, and are
open to all ages.

*We're pleased to announce our inaugural event:*

[image: March_Schooner.png]

But Where is all this Global Warming? Exploring Recent Cold Weather Events
in the Context of Climate Change

When: Thursday, March 17, 2018, 7:00 – 8:00 pm

Where: Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery, 8570 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, WA
98103

This venue is family and pet friendly. All bikers who show their helmet get
$1 off pints!!

Sponsors: University of Washington Program on Climate Change and Cascadia
Climate Action

Climate contrarians have long pointed to snowfall and cold weather events
to question the scientific reality of human-induced climate change. How do
we counter these spurious claims?

Spend an evening with graduate students from UW to learn about the distinct
difference between weather and climate variability and how recent cold
weather events in fit into the context of climate change. The first event
of the *Schooner Series *will provide the community with tools to talk
about climate change amidst a season of record snowfall in Seattle. We will
first discuss the difference between climate change and natural weather
variability, and then explore those differences in the context of the last
50 million years. We will then focus on the context of recent local weather
events, and end with a talk exploring the public health implications of
dramatic weather patterns. Join us at Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery for a
fun, educational night of climate conversation!

Panel:

- *Sarah Ragen*, PhD Candidate in Oceanography
- *Alex Lowe*, PhD Candidate in Biology
- *Joe Zagrodnik*, PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences
- *Claire Pendergrast*, Masters Candidate in Public Health

We hope to see you there!

--
*Alexandra Stote*
M.M.A Candidate, School of Marine and Environmental Affairs

University of Washington
3707 Brooklyn Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98112