[pccgrads] Vote for new GSR!

Sarah Ragen sragen at uw.edu
Sun Jun 30 01:59:47 PDT 2019

Hi all,

Michael Diamond is finishing his 2 year term as PCC Graduate Student Representative (GSR). The GSR is responsible for representing the PCC graduate students' voice at the table when the PCC board is making decisions (re: funding, programming, etc.).
We had two enthusiastic responses from our nominees for GSR - Andrew Pauling and Greta Shum. Please take a moment to read the statements below for both candidates and respond to me with your vote.
I would appreciate it if you could try to respond ASAP. Thanks everyone!

Best,
Sarah

Andrew Pauling (ATMOS)
I am very interested in being the PCC Graduate Student Representative for the next two years. I have been very involved with the PCC over the last two years: I have been fortunate to receive a PCC graduate fellowship, and have attended both the PCC Summer Institute and Spring Symposium every year during my time at UW. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these experiences, and the fellowship has been a huge help in supporting me during my time in the graduate program in Atmospheric Sciences. If chosen as the PCC GSR, I look forward to being the liaison between the graduate students and the board of the PCC, and hope to help facilitate stronger ties and more meaningful collaborations between both graduate students and faculty of the departments in the PCC.

Greta Shum (ATMOS)
I'd love to take this opportunity to build and strengthen connections across communities, and I'm passionate about climate change communication across disciplinary and institutional boundaries. Four years of climate communication pre-grad school have helped me realize that discussions about climate change can really only be as meaningful as they appear to the person in the community who feels the least included. That's why it's critical to maintain a community that's actively committed to inclusivity, communication, and respect. I attended the PCC Summer Institute this past fall; since then I've participated in a few PCC events, and am a recent addition to P-GraSC(!) The value in a community like the PCC is that it serves as a space for all community members who care about the science behind climate change to see others like them and learn to appreciate different approaches to the same issue — not just how to explain it, but also how to measure it, and how human choices determine its impacts. I've enjoyed fostering camaraderie and communication in the Atmospheric Sciences and Life Sciences departments across across hierarchies in both formal and informal ways (serving as an undergrad mentor, organizing board game nights and happy hours), and I'd love to be make myself a communication mechanism for graduate students in the same way within the PCC.

SARAH RAGEN

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

SCHOOL OF OCEANOGRAPHY

OFFICE: OSB 331A