[pccgrads] Volunteers needed for informal discussion

sragen sragen at uw.edu
Tue Jun 25 11:49:29 PDT 2019

Hi all,

We are looking for a few volunteers who are willing to meet with some high school interns on campus (in ATG) next Tuesday for about an hour before the glaciology lunchtime seminar. Please let me know if you are interested and available! They are interested in hearing about climate related work on campus and different paths to graduate school/post-docs/etc.

A message from Mike is copied below:
The students have a diverse set of interests, so we’d just like to have a survey of different things happening on campus in the PCC. I’m also interested in exposing students to different paths to grad school and beyond. Any effort that can be made to present folks of different backgrounds (e.g. not all presenting as similar race or gender) to our students would also be awesome.
The students are all in high school. The two most well-defined projects are: 1) evaluating the stability of NWAC avalanche forecasts using some of their internal data, and 2) developing algorithms that can derive cloudiness and snow extent using iButton data from sensor arrays deployed on Mt. Baker by our outdoor program.

Best,
Sarah

SARAH RAGEN

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON