[pccgrads] PCC 586 seminar series: Sea Level Rise: Causes and Impacts-Tuesdays at 3:30pm this winter

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Fri Jan 4 08:43:10 PST 2019

Graduate students can register for this seminar as OCN/ATMS/ESS 586
<https://pcc.uw.edu/education/quarterly-climate-courses/current-research-in-climate-change-2/>
for 2 credits; all are welcome.

*Sea Level Rise: Causes and Impacts*
Led by LuAnne Thompson, Oceanography
OCN 425
Tuesdays at 3:30

Global warming has resulted in over 20 cm of sea level rise since 1900.
The rate of rise has accelerated over the previous two decades and future
projections suggest that there is much more to come. In this seminar, we
will explore what we know about what controls sea level rise over a variety
of time and space scales. In addition, we will examine how sea level rise
is expected to impact human and natural systems and how we can adapt to
these changes.

Tentative seminar schedule (titles tentative)

January 8: LuAnne Thompson, Oceanography, An introduction to sea level
variability and change: satellite observations of global sea level over the
last 25 years

January 15: Eddie Allison, School of Marine and Environmental Affairs:
Vulnerability to sea level rise in least developed countries

January 22: Kri Ebi, Global Health and Environmental and Occupational
Health, Small Island nation climate vulnerability with focus on health
systems

January 29: Parker MacCready, Oceanography, Tides in Puget sounds and sea
level extremes

February 5: Gregory Johnson: NOAA/PMEL, The global sea level budget

February 12: Ian Joughin, APL, Observations of ice sheet change and sea
level rise.

February 19: T. J. Fudge, Earth and Space Sciences, Changes in the
Antarctic Ice Sheet over centuries to millennium

February 26: Steven Talke, Portland State University, Sea Level rise in
estuaries

March 5: Harriet Morgan, Climate Impacts Group, Adapting to sea level rise
in Washington State

March 12 TBA

--
LuAnne Thompson