[pccgrads] Seeking one more Grad Student or Postdoc Presenter for a new mini-series!

Jessica Badgeley badgeley at uw.edu
Thu Feb 28 08:47:30 PST 2019

We have an exciting outreach opportunity for one more grad student and/or postdoc--

The PCC Graduate Student Committee (PGraSC) is starting a graduate student-led offshoot of the popular Climate Science on Tap events about once a quarter at smaller breweries around Seattle. Each event will be themed with 2-3 UW grad students and/or postdocs giving short (~10 min) presentations followed by Q&A.

Our first event is scheduled for March 14th starting at 7pm at the Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery <https://www.flyingbike.coop/>. The theme for this event is “But Where is all the Global Warming? Exploring Recent Cold Weather Events in the Context of Climate Change.” We have two confirmed talks, and we’d like one more!

A talk that covers background on weather vs climate, natural variability in the climate, and climate and weather in the US. Or something else you want to talk about!
A talk that discusses current climate change in the context of Cenozoic climate. (Speaker confirmed.)
A talk that discusses the recent snow storms in Seattle and puts them into a historical context. What changes will this region see in the future under climate change? (Speaker confirmed.)

Please let us know if you’re interested in giving a talk by sending us 1) what topic you’re excited to talk about, and 2) a little about yourself (e.g. UW department, grad student or postdoc, your research area, and your experience with giving talks accessible to the public). We’ll generally prioritize first-come-first-serve, but we aim for a diverse panel and talks that fit our theme.

Once we’ve chosen our volunteers, we’ll ask to see a preview of your presentation about one week in advance. Because this event is aimed at the general public, we want to be sure that it is accessible to people of all ages and experiences.

We hope you're as excited as we are! Please reach out with any questions.

-- The PCC Public Engagement Committee

-----
Jessica Badgeley
Graduate Student