[pccgrads] Paper discussion this Friday - in prep for Dr. Abby Ren's visit as the Hedges Visiting Scholar

Angie Boysen aboysen at uw.edu
Mon Feb 25 18:56:22 PST 2019

Hi folks,

This spring the Chemical Oceanography graduate students are hosting Dr.
Abby Ren from the National Taiwan University as the 2019 John Hedges
Visiting Scholar. You'll be getting another announcement about this as her
visit gets closer (she'll be here April 3-5). Dr. Ren uses geochemical
measurements to understand present and past biogeochemical cycling. I think
her work will be of broad interest to the PCC community. You can find her
website here <https://www.abbyren.com/> and read more about the Hedges
Scholar program below.

In preparation for her visit we'll be having 3 paper discussions. The first
is this* Friday at 1:30 **in MSB 123*. The paper we are reading for our
first discussion is an overview of the ocean nitrogen cycle and nitrogen
isotopes; it is attached to this email. Feel free to join even if you don't
make it through the whole paper. The next two discussions will focus on Dr.
Ren's work on anthropogenic nitrogen and paleo-oceanography so this will
set us up to understand those. Hope to see you there, feel free to invite
other interested grad students or post-docs, and let me know if you are
interested but can't make this time and we'll be sure to include you on
emails about the rest of the paper discussions.

Cheers,
Angie and the rest of the Chem O grad students

About John Hedges and the Hedges Visiting Scholar Program:

John Hedges was one of the world’s leading marine organic matter
geochemists and was a member of the Chemical Oceanography faculty at the
University of Washington from 1976 to 2002. With over 135 publications,
John Hedges was included on the ISI’s list of Most Highly Cited in the
field of Geosciences. He served on the editorial board of Geochimica et
Cosmochimica Acta, Marine Chemistry, and Limnology and Oceanography and he
was on the National Research Council, Ocean Studies Board from 1980 to
1991. He received numerous honors and awards, including the Triebs Medal
(Geochemical Society) for career contributions to Organic Geochemistry.

A fund was created in his memory to allow graduate students to annually
invite and host prominent scientists to be a visiting scholar. The visit
will include research seminars, group lunches and dinners with graduate
students and individual meetings with students and faculty. The previous
John Hedges Visiting Scholars were Dr. Cindy Lee (2010), Dr. Michael
Behrenfeld (2016), and Dr. Phoebe Lam (2017).