[pccgrads] Invitation from Robin McLachlan: LJust Launched: My Science Writing Project!

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Sat Feb 16 15:57:40 PST 2019

Hi Everyone!

First, I would like to thank all of you for your support in my academic
journey from geology (College of Charleston and the SC Geological Survey)
to oceanography (University of Washington) and science communication
(Engage Program). You have all helped me get to where I am in some way, and
now I want to pass along that support to other science students.

As many of you know, I have been working on developing and
implementing a *Science
Writing Intervention
<https://forthesedimentrecord.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/sciencewritingsyllabus.pdf>*
in
undergraduate science courses. My ultimate goal is to empower science
students with communications skills to help them succeed in their early
careers. I successfully implemented the intervention
<https://robinmclachlan.com/2018/09/19/a-science-communication-intervention-the-journey-begins/>
last
academic quarter, and I am now moving on to evaluating the project with a
blind review. After the intervention is evaluated, I plan to publish the
results in a peer-reviewed journal, revise and package the curriculum for
public use, and post the intervention curriculum online open access.

To continue moving forward, the evaluation will need generous support from
my community.

Here is how you can help:

1. Sign up to be a reviewer
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zD_OaZEj7DNVxc9uG0ea-hSPxH2eRSdQVQxNPG4WhWs/edit?usp=sharing>.
Reviewers must be a professional in a STEM (Science Technology,
Engineering, Math) career, and, yes, graduate students are considered
professionals. Reviewers will be given a detailed rubric to guide them in
their evaluations and will receive $10 in compensation per review they
complete. Each review should take <15 minutes of your time.

2. Check out my project website
<https://experiment.com/projects/can-we-empower-science-students-with-communication-skills-by-eliminating-the-barriers-of-time-and-expertise>
and share with your own colleagues, friends, and family!

Please reach out if you have any questions or suggestions for this project.

I sincerely appreciate all of your support!

Best,
Robin

[image: image.png]
Robin McLachlan