[pccgrads] Fwd: 2019 AMS Summer Policy Colloquium - funding application due March 15!

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon Feb 4 16:08:59 PST 2019

>From Sarah Dewey.

..... I participated in the 2018 SPC, and *it was one of the best
experiences I've had in graduate school*.

Over the course of 10 days, the ~40 participants in the Colloquium have the
opportunity to hear from leaders in science policy across branches of
government, the nonprofit sector, and industry. It's an incredible chance
for access to some top minds! Everyone is invited to engage in conversation
with speakers, and there is also a hands-on exercise meant to introduce
participants to the legislative process.

The Colloquium is primarily run by Bill Hooke, who is one of the kindest,
deepest-thinking individuals I have ever encountered. He pours his heart
and soul into building an immersive experience that creates long-term
connections between participants and provides a comprehensive overview of
science policy independent of background.

There is NSF funding available for graduate students to participate in the
SPC. I was fortunate enough to be fully funded last summer, including
airfare and lodging, which made the experience stress-free (and feasible to
begin with!)

I encourage anyone with an interest in the Colloquium to reach out to me to
chat about the experience. It was truly life-changing, offering hope to
counteract the world's increasingly ubiquitous cynicism, and gave me
insight into ways to apply my PhD that I hadn't dreamed were possible.

For more information on the SPC, visit:
https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/policy/summer-policy-colloquium/
For Bill's reflection on the 2018 SPC, see:
https://www.livingontherealworld.org/the-future-is-in-good-hands-chapter-18/

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah Dewey | deweys at uw.edu
PhD Candidate | University of Washington School of Oceanography
Graduate Research Assistant | UW Applied Physics Lab