[pccgrads] Climate Science on Tap: Schooner Series -- Outreach Opportunity

Sarah Ragen sragen at uw.edu
Thu Apr 18 16:38:07 PDT 2019

Dear PCC graduate students and postdocs,

We have an exciting outreach opportunity for you! As you may have heard (and maybe you even attended last time), the PCC Graduate Student Committee (PGraSC) is starting a graduate student-led offshoot of the popular Climate Science on Tap events called the Schooner Series. We are hosting events once a quarter at breweries around Seattle to foster communication and conversation between UW grad students and the public concerning climate change.

Our first event was a blast and we are now looking for speakers for our second event. This upcoming event is scheduled to take place at Peddler Brewing Company on Thursday, May 16th at 7pm. The theme is “Scales of Climate Change” and we are looking for 3 people to give talks roughly surrounding the following topics:

1. The time and space scales of climate change.

2. Scales of action we can take to combat climate change.

3. The scales of costs associated with climate change.

Please let us know if you’re interested in helping out by sending us 1) what topic you’re excited to talk about (it doesn’t have to be one of the three listed, but should be closely

related to the theme), and 2) a little about yourself (e.g. UW department, grad student or postdoc, your research area, and your experience with giving talks accessible to the

public). We’ll generally prioritize first-come-first-serve, but we aim for a diverse panel and talks that fit our theme.

Once we’ve chosen our volunteers, we’ll ask to see a preview of your presentation one week in advance. Because this event is aimed at the general public, we want to be sure
that it is accessible to people of all ages and experiences.

Cheers,

Alex, Kelly, Jess, Christine, Sarah, and Claire

The PCC Public Engagement Committee

SARAH RAGEN

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

SCHOOL OF OCEANOGRAPHY