[pccgrads] "Climate-fiction thriller" screening, April 8 (12:30-1:30 PM), OSB 425

Michael S Diamond diamond2 at uw.edu
Thu Apr 4 00:57:35 PDT 2019

Hi all,

Please join us next Monday, April 8th, from 12:30-1:30 PM in OSB 425 for a
screening of the pilot of a new "climate-fiction thriller" web series
directed by Kathie Kelly (formerly at UW APL). More details from Kathie
about the web series are copied below.

Pizza and popcorn will be provided! (Email me if you have any requests or
dietary restrictions.) All are welcome.

Cheers,
Michael

Advocating for climate observations using a climate-fiction ("cli-fi")
thriller
Kathie Kelly, Writer/Director of "An Unlikely Insurgency"
Formerly at the University of Washington
Member of the NASA-sponsored Ocean Surface Topography Science Team

Scientists are at a disadvantage in communicating with the public about the
need for climate observations and climate research because well-funded
groups are spreading disinformation and distrust of experts. Fiction can
reach audiences that are unlikely to watch documentaries featuring
scientists and policy experts.

"The story is fiction -- the science is real"

Our Seattle-based group is shooting a climate-fiction web series that gives
a sense of urgency to cutbacks in climate observations based on real
science. Our story begins with bad data from a sea-level satellite causing
a botched hurricane forecast that results in thousands of deaths. The
President blames scientists. The crisis gives the characters an opportunity
to explain the real connection between ocean heat content and hurricane
intensification. A senior climate scientist joins with her daughter, a
network security engineer (think Snowden), and the Insurgency, a secret
group of activist scientists, to find the source of the error. The series
features political intrigue, climate science, and the secession of the West
Coast using a diverse cast and crew and a feminist perspective.

A sneak preview of the series pilot and a discussion of ways to educate the
public about the importance of our climate observation system.

Project website
Www.AnUnlikelyInsurgency.com <http://www.anunlikelyinsurgency.com/>

--
Michael S. Diamond